Springer Spaniels are a popular breed of dog that can be found in many households. One question that many people have is, “can Springer Spaniels drink milk?” It turns out that the answer to this question is yes, but there are things to check first.
This article will explore whether or not springer spaniels can drink Milk safely and how you might go about doing so successfully without any problems.
How Much Milk Can a Springer Spaniel Drink?
Yes, but Milk should only be given in small quantities (around 50ml) as a treat for your dog.
How much Milk your dog can drink safely will depend on what they can tolerate. Just like humans, many dogs have an intolerance towards dairy products, so you should think about testing your dog for lactose intolerance.
Your local vet can carry out testing.
What Are the Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance in Dogs?
The symptoms of lactose intolerance can be pretty wide-ranging. Some dogs will have digestive problems that can include vomiting, diarrhea, breaking wind, and stomach cramps, while other dogs may experience skin issues such as itching or redness around the neck, ears, or paws.
If your dog is experiencing any of these side effects, it might be worth carrying out a test to see if they are intolerant to dairy products.
How to Test Your Dog for Lactose Intolerance
A vet should carry out testing, but you can do a little home DIY testing(i would always recommend getting a professional vet test) by giving your dog a very small amount of Milk and monitoring them for any ill effects such as those mentioned above.
Give them no more than two tablespoons of Milk, then monitor them for a few hours.
If all goes ok only give them the same amount next time you give them Milk and repeat the process, this should give you a good idea of how your dog handles Milk.
IF your dog is ok with Milk, don’t rush to give them a huge bowl straightaway again treat it as testing and build up the amount of Milk over time, and remember Milk is a meal, so don’t get carried away giving too much as you may end up with an overweight springer!
Again I would always recommend getting your dog professionally tested by your local vet!
How Often Can a Springer Spaniel Drink Milk?
As I mentioned above, Milk is a meal and high in calories, so it should be given as a treat, a springer getting his regular meals and then Milk on top of that every day may quickly start to become overweight.
Semi-skimmed Milk contains around 95 calories per 200ml and whole milk 136 calories, so you can see how this could quickly add up.
An active springer should eat around 1300 calories a day, so if he had 200ml of whole Milk a day for a week, that’s an extra 952 calories he needs to burn off, almost an entire day’s food! (I am using 200ml as an example for easy math)
The extra calories will have more of an effect on less active dogs or older dogs that should be eating around 1000 calories a day.
So treat Milk as a treat and don’t overdo it, and you should be fine.
can a springer spaniel drink milk?
Yes, but you need to be careful that it doesn’t interfere with their regular meals and too many calories. Milk should only be used as an occasional treat for your pet.
If they’re really active, then the added calories should be fine, but an inactive or older dog can become overweight, but this will depend on how much Milk is being consumed.
If you’re going to give them some full-fat cow’s Milk every now and again, don’t overdo it – remember it counts towards his daily calorie intake, so keep track of exactly what he eats!
Myspringerspaniel.com does not provide veterinary advice. We aim to provide you with information to enable you to make a good decision when making a purchase or to care for your dog.
All content is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice. If you’re concerned about the health of your pet, you should contact your vet for advice.
- Do you need to cut a springer spaniel’s nails?The English springer spaniel is a very active dog. With regular daily walks, they will likely keep their nails at a suitable length if walking on hard ground such as asphalt or concrete paths. However, if your springer only ever …
- Do Springer Spaniels Have a Double Coat?Yes, springer spaniels have a double coat, the springer spaniel breed has a thick, dense coat, and their fur is tight to the body to help them deal with rough and wet conditions. They also have long feathering around their …
- 3 Best Dog car Crates for a springer spanielAre you looking for the best dog car crates for a springer spaniel? If so, this article is perfect for you! We will discuss what to look for in a dog car crate, how to measure your dog for a …
- What Size Dog Crate for a Springer Spaniel?Do you know what size crate your springer spaniel needs? If not, fear not. We have all the information you need to ensure that your dog is comfortable and safe at home. Many people worry about how large their pet’s …
- Springer Spaniel Life Jacket – Does My Dog Need a Life JacketThe Top Six springer spaniel Life Jackets, And Why You Should Get One For Your Springer Spaniel: If you have a springer and they love to swim or wade in the water, then a good quality dog life jacket will …
Springer Spaniel Life Jacket – Does My Dog Need a Life Jacket Read More »
- 5 of the Best Dog Beds for a Springer SpanielA dog’s bed is an essential part of their life. A good, comfortable bed can make a world of difference when it comes to the quality of your pup’s sleep. And while many beds on the market claim to be “the …