Do Springer Spaniels Have a Double Coat?

Do Springer Spaniels Have a Double Coat

Yes, springer spaniels have a double coat, the springer spaniel breed has a thick, dense coat, and their fur is tight to the body to help them deal with rough and wet conditions. They also have long feathering around their legs, ears, and tail, giving them an almost fluffy appearance at times. 

Affiliate Disclaimer

What is a double coat?

So what exactly is a double coat? The answer to this question will vary depending on who you ask. Sometimes springer spaniel owners use the term “double coat” when they actually mean “long hair.” That’s because springers do indeed have a longer, outer layer of fur that is a little wavy that sits on top of a tighter undercoat.

A double coat is actually two separate layers of fur; the first is a tight undercoat that sits close to the skin, and the second is the longer outer coat that sits on top of the undercoat. 

The topcoat and undercoat each have two distinct layers. The soft undercoat is shorter and develops more quickly than the topcoat. Twice a year, the undercoat is shed and released.

While springer spaniel breeders use the term double coat, they also refer to springers as short-haired springers or long-haired springers. This is because individual springer spaniels can have a variety of looks when you consider the length of their fur.

Springers with loose, shaggy fur are often found in the show ring, while springers with tighter coats tend to compete in field events such as field trials and agility competitions.

No matter what type of springer your dog may be, chances are good that their fur falls somewhere between these extremes.

How do I care for a Springer Spaniel’s double coat?

You should groom your springer spaniel regularly to keep its coat free of mats and tangles; that goes without saying, but do you need to do anything extra to take care of their double coat?

Well, not really; a good regular grooming routine will keep their coat in tip-top condition. 

Just be sure to pay them a little more attention during shedding times (about twice a year); this will help prevent matting and keep your home a little cleaner.

Do springers shed all year round?

Springers do not shed all year round, but instead, they go through shedding seasons like most other breeds; these seasons usually fall in the spring months and then again in autumn when they drop their undercoat.

I use a Slicker brush like this one on my two dogs for most of the grooming, and it works great for more challenging tangles. I use this Dematting comb which is excellent, especially for mats around the ears.

Caring for springer spaniel undercoat

The first thing to note about the springer spaniel undercoat is that it may grow very quickly. Once spring has sprung (sorry), you might notice that your dog is shedding his spring coat and replacing it with the warmer weather version.

In fact, springer spaniels can lose as much as 70 percent of their coat every spring! The remaining 30 percent will stay with them throughout the summer months.

So I would say pick yourself up a Slicker brush like this one to make your life a little easier when grooming; it takes care of all mats and tangles for the whole coat with ease, and as above, if your dog is prone to more challenging mats pick up the Dematting comb too!

Why do Springer Spaniels have a double coat?

The tight undercoat keeps the dog warm and protects them from thorns and sharp branches Ect while working and diving through dense cover. The outer coat works a little like a rain mac allowing rainwater to run off the fur before it gets to the undercoat helping keep them dry in the rain; the same can’t be said when they jump in the river!

Do all dogs have double coats? 

No, only certain breeds have double coats, and the springer spaniel is one of them.

Below are some other breeds with a double coat.

  • Pomeranians
  • Corgis
  • Siberian Huskies
  • Cavalier King Charles
  • Border Collies
  • Golden and Labrador Retrievers
  • Newfoundlands
  • German and Australian Shepherds
  • Chows

In Summary

So there you have it, the springer spaniel double coat, in a nutshell, nothing much to worry about grooming-wise, just a good old regular grooming gets the job done (with the correct tools, of course)!

Disclaimer does not provide veterinary advice. We aim to provide you with information to enable you to make a good decision when making a purchase or to care for your dog.
All content is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice.

If you’re concerned about the health of your pet, you should contact your vet for advice.

Recent Posts